« Home | Proof that I'm really here » | Bumps in the road » | The job » | Long weekend » | The working life » | Listo, set, go! » | The search goes on » | In the big city » | Ya me voy » | Some things just don't change... »

Entrepreneurs are really neat!

Yesterday evening I met with a man named Luis who is a micro-entrepreneur in Santiago. For the last 10 years his business has been to repair automatic transmissions in any type of vehicle, but especially buses. Lately, big businesses have come in and taken over the market, so Luis has lost a ton of work and has come across hard times.

Realizing that he needed to adapt, he took a soldering class and decided he should start his own soldering business because the market for small jobs is huge. He explained to me his whole strategy and plan, and I thought it was simply awesome. I think it's so cool how he never once complained about the fact he lost so much business. He just stated it as a fact and looked towards new opportunities. Not only does he attend Accion Emprendedora's classes 3 times a week, he also goes to soldering classes as much as possible. All the while responding to any calls for work on transmissions 7 days a week.

What an amazing ability to adapt. I guess that's what it means to be an entrepreneur.

I met him through Accion Emprendedora's tutoring program, and for the next few weeks we'll be starting to write his business plan that he can turn in to the municipality and banks to get microcredit loans. He needs to buy all the tools for soldering and cover some of the costs of starting a new addition to his business.

Through all these years, Luis never had to buy anything on credit. That's pretty awesome, but I'm sure a little microcredit help this time won't hurt. I'm looking forward to seeing how the business plan and his business progresses. It's very exciting.

Stay tuned!

Apoorva