« Home | The job » | Long weekend » | The working life » | Listo, set, go! » | The search goes on » | In the big city » | Ya me voy » | Some things just don't change... » | The idea »

Bumps in the road

So last Friday I went home from work and in 15 minutes packed up all my stuff and left my homestay that I was at. I had let many things pass during the time I was there, but I was absolutely fed up because I got sick a 2nd time because of the kids - that was the last straw. I thought living with kids would be a little challenge, and it was, but it was a bigger challenge living with the mother of those kids. My list of problems with that place can go on and on.

But I'm out of there now, healthy, and back in south Santiago with some friends until I can find a new place. It's like starting all over again. But being able to eat healthy food and not mashed potatoes with a side of iceberg lettuce makes it worth the hassle.

Culture shock here has been much different than in Oaxaca. There, it was about a total of a few hours. Since I was always around people and everything was pretty set up, I never had the time to feel homesick or anything. I was also prepared and briefed on exactly what to expect all summer long through my AMIGOS friends from home. =)

I miss home and friends very much, very frequently, and being back at home seems so far away. It's hard to keep in contact because so far the only place I've had internet is at work (very ironic that I was more connected in a rural town in Oaxaca). But it's also the little things you miss like how easy everything is with a car, good and cheap food, and other simple comforts of Houston.

But Santiago itself is an awesome city, and walking around and exploring the bustle makes you feel better. And the panaderias here are amazing. Buying myself a chocolate covered caramel filled shortbread cookie sure hits the spot.

Hopefully things will get a little more settled down and I will eventually have internet access in my room. But time here in the big scheme of things is very short - I certainly do remind myself of that very often. In the end, these will all be funny and ridiculous stories from my big, crazy adventure. Perspective affects so much.

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch,

Apoorva