« Home | Listo, set, go! » | The search goes on » | In the big city » | Ya me voy » | Some things just don't change... » | The idea »

The working life

I can't believe I've only been here for less than two weeks. I am starting to get used to the working life, which for me pretty much means sitting in front of my notebook in the library for hours during the day. (Office space is limited at the university where Accion Emprendedora is based)

However, my work is fascinating. Last week, I helped the director judge business plans for a university competition with something like a $20,000 prize. I read through about 7 or 8 and wrote comments based on innovation, viability, presentation, etc.

Then, Anibal, the director, asked me to write him a report on the state of preschool entrepreneurship education in the world. Apparently, he has the job of implementing such a program for public school students in Chile. My lessons from policy analysis class helped a lot and so did Google. It was fun to be able to make reccomendations about how to implement such a program and what it should include.

This week, I am working on creating a leadership education program for university students at DUOC in Chile. That's about 50,000 students in Chile. Anibal said he has been appointed to create and start such a program as well. All of this on top of the actual Accion Emprendedora work - he's a busy guy. But leadership education is certainly something I love working on, and all my time with Leadership Rice will continue to help me out. Don't be surprized if the DUOC leadership cirriculum looks a lot like Leadership Rice in Spanish. =)

On the non-work aspect of life in Stgo., this weekend, I saw a art exhibit by Nicanor Parra, who is a Chilean "anti-poet." He writes random poetry on pieces of wood and takes trinkets like tires, old computers, and buckets to communicate his message. It was absolutely hilarious, and I plan to go again so I can take pictures of his work. Daring is an understatement.

I also got to play some Ulimate Frisbee yesterday with mostly gringos and a few Argentines and Chileans here and there. That rocked because I really missed playing. I'm looking forward to continuing that during my time here. Most of them are very good, so it's challenging, but very fun.

It's back to the work week, and I must say there is no such thing as quiet in libraries in Chile.

Warm regards,

Apoorva

P.S. - I still have no internet at my room, so emails, photos, and more frequent posts will start coming as soon as that is done.