« Home | Long weekend » | The working life » | Listo, set, go! » | The search goes on » | In the big city » | Ya me voy » | Some things just don't change... » | The idea »

The job

As time as passed, I have learned more about what my job at Accion Emprendedora entails. I had mentioned that the first thing I did was write a report on the state of entrepreneurship education for preschoolers. Well the reason my boss asked me for that is because the government of Chile has contracted DUOC Universidad Catolica who contracted Accion Emprendedora to figure out what needs to be done to get that type of education started in the country. AE and DUOC UC work closely together and my boss, the director of AE is also the director of the Entrepreneurship Center at DUOC UC. (All of this has happened recently) The Chilean government hopes to teach entrepreneurship to as many young students as possible. I really see an interest in this country is business and development through entrepreneurship. (Chile is the easiest place to start a new business in Latin America according to the World Bank - easier here than in Spain or France)

My next task has been to develop a leadership curriculum. The reason for that is that DUOC UC wants AE to create a leadership and entrepreneurship program for all new students that enter its university starting next year. That's about 15,000 new students every year. They are also interested in creating a Entrepreneurship and Innovation Center, which has also been put into the hands of AE.

Since AE is such a small organization, people like me and another recent grad from Duke doing his Fullbright here can get some pretty cool tasks. The director is chronically busy and office space and resources are limited, but DUOC UC wants to get this stuff started and trusts our boss. So that means for the next few months, I'm not only working for Accion Emprendedora, but also indirectly for DUOC UC.

Then there's the AE part of my job. I have also mentioned that AE has 3 steps to their work: business classes for small business owners and entrepreneurs, tutoring for the creation of the business plan, and finally assisting entrepreneurs with microcredit loans. So far, AE has done the first two by itself and works with banks and municipalities for the microcredit part. The vision of the director is to become a self-sufficient organization in which it has its own funds to give out credit. Not only would AE be a training and support organization, but also a bank for microcredit.

My job for the next few months will also be to do as much research and analysis as possible on implementing this 3rd part. I will research microcredit, microleasing, and microfactoring and work with the business plan my boss has already created. I still haven't found out exactly all the details of this part of the job, but it sounds interesting, and I think I will leave with a super understanding of microfinances.

Finally, AE has also asked me to be a tutor for one of the small business entrepreneurs. As a tutor, I help the business owner create a business plan that he can turn in to the municipality he lives in as well as banks to get loans. My assignment is to work with a man who has a soldering/welding business. I have my first meeting with him next Tuesday and then I will learn more about him and his business. I'm very excited about this and I think it will be a valuable and fun experience.

So now I will get back to my research on entrepreneurship and innovation centers. The work is tough and draining, but very rewarding. I certainly do miss home though.

Love,

Apoorva

Wow looks like you have you hands full! So I was listening to a Mitch Hedberg cd the other day, you do a very good imitation of him.

Post a Comment